Huntsman Eldridge
Huntsman Eldridge Surveyors Limited has extensive experience in advising building owners, adjoining owners.
Monday - Friday 09:00 - 17:00

Saturday and Sunday - CLOSED

020 8742 2625

121c Godolphin Road,

Shepherds Bush, London W12 8JN


Party Wall Awards

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is a UK law that outlines the requirements for building work that may affect shared walls or boundaries between properties. The act is intended to provide a framework for resolving disputes and ensuring that building work is carried out safely and without causing unnecessary inconvenience to neighbours. 

Under the act, building owners who wish to carry out certain types of work, such as building a new wall on or near a shared boundary, must serve notice to their neighbours before the work can begin. This notice should outline the nature of the proposed work, the date it will begin, and any potential disruptions that may occur. 

Neighbours who receive a notice have the right to object to the proposed work within a set timeframe, typically 14 days. If an objection is raised, both parties may need to appoint a surveyor or surveyors to mediate the dispute and come to an agreement on how the work should proceed. 

The act also covers other types of building work, such as excavation or underpinning, which may affect the stability of shared walls or boundaries. In these cases, building owners may need to obtain a Party Wall Agreement, which sets out the terms and conditions of the work, and which may include provisions for compensation or liability in the event of damage or other issues.

Overall, the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is designed to ensure that building work is carried out in a responsible and respectful manner, and that the rights of neighbouring property owners are protected. By following the guidelines set out in the act, building owners can minimize the risk of disputes or legal action, and ensure that their construction projects are completed smoothly and safely. 

Party Wall Flow Chart

Party Wall AwardsThe Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is a UK law that sets out the rights and responsibilities of property owners in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings. If you are planning building work that may affect a party wall, you will need to follow a specific process outlined in the Act. Here is a brief overview of the steps involved: 

  1. Serve notice: The first step is to serve notice on your neighbour(s) detailing the proposed works. You can either do this yourself or hire a party wall surveyor to do it for you. The notice must be served at least two months before you intend to start the work. 
  2. Agree to the works: Your neighbour(s) have 14 days to respond to the notice. If they agree to the works, you can proceed. If they do not respond, you will need to send a reminder letter or hire a surveyor to follow up. 
  3. Appoint a surveyor: If your neighbour(s) do not agree to the works, or if there is a dispute, you will need to appoint a party wall surveyor. You can either appoint a surveyor to act on your behalf, or you and your neighbour(s) can agree to appoint a single surveyor to act impartially. 
  4. Agree a party wall award: The surveyor(s) will prepare a party wall award, which is a legally binding agreement that sets out the details of the proposed works and any relevant safeguards to protect your neighbour(s) property. The award will also detail how any damage will be repaired and who will be responsible for the costs. 
  5. Carry out the works: Once the party wall award has been agreed and signed by all parties, you can proceed with the works. You will need to comply with the terms of the award, including any safeguards that have been put in place. 
  6. Resolve disputes: If there are any disputes during the process, the surveyor(s) will act as an impartial third party to help resolve them. If a resolution cannot be reached, the dispute can be referred to a Third Surveyor for a final decision. 

It is important to follow the correct process when carrying out works that may affect a party wall, to ensure that you do not cause any unnecessary damage to your neighbour(s) property and to avoid any legal disputes.